Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bottle problems

So I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to wean Jesse from his bottle. I have tried replacing them with sippies, giving him less milk, and just quitting cold turkey. It's hard because I know that it is mostly just a comfort to him before he goes to bed and when he wakes up. He is no dummy though- if I come into his room to get him out of bed and I don't have a bottle in my hand, he won't let me take him out. And he throws wicked tantrums. I need some advice because at this point I will try anything!! Oh and he has been sick so it makes it that much harder. Thanks for listening to my pity party! But seriously, help???

2 comments:

Shelly and Ben said...

Man, I didn't have problems weaning my kids so all I can offer is this advice. 1)wait til he's not sick anymore. Trying to change things up when they're sick is too hard and stressful. 2)Research the different methods you like, or would consider and then pick one and stick to it. I did three different methods with my three kids. Audrey, we weaned slowly with dropping one bottle a week until she only got sippy cups. Marissa we did cold turkey, but she was attached to her morning bottle, that was some screaming, but eventually she gave in. Trent we stopped all the daytime bottles and let him keep the night bottles for a while longer, then one night HE stopped wanting it. 3)The older the child, the harder the time. I don't know if any of this helps, but I'm here for you!!! You can rant and rave to me, you can come get emotion boosting smoothies, and you can call me ANY TIME!!!!

Tira said...

I know how hard it is for you, I am sorry. Just hang in there. It's ok if he has tantrums about not having his bottle. It is part of learning that mom and dad can say no and Jesse doesn't always get what he wants. You have seen the fights I have with Aliya. It will get better, just be persistent and eventually he will surprise you and the bottle will be gone.